Paul,

> >>    I just installed amavisd-new-2.5.0 on my Mac OS X system (version
> >>10.4.9).  It seems to work fine, except when the daily log roll happens.
> >>When this occurs, logging from amavisd stops for a while, and then starts
> >>up again.
>
> Yes, MacOSX uses postfix.  I grep'd for this message and I didn't see it.
> I don't think that postfix is getting delayed because I see log messages
> from postfix showing connections and delivery, and even postfix/lmtp.
> My point is that mail still seems to flow, and I'm still getting log
> messages (i.e. from postfix and imapd).  Everything seems to be working,
> except for the logging from amavisd (I even get new quarantined messages).
>
> Other ideas?  I really think this is a perl/syslog issue, and I hope
> there is a better solution than what I'm trying.

It is quite possible this is a syslog issue (client side).
The problem is that neither the Unix::Syslog nor the syslog(3)
man page tells anything about status returned or its use of ERRNO,
so my sub write_log intentionally ignores status and errno of
a Unix::Syslog::syslog call. This is quite ugly, and could
well explain the problem you are seeing.

Perhaps this is just a documentation omission in Unix::Syslog
and syslog(3) and a meaningful status _is_ returned - but since
it is not documented, the behaviour may vary from one Unix to another.

I'm not sure what would be the best solution. I'd be interested
if you come up with a reliable solution. Don't forget to set:
  $! = 0;
before calling Unix::Syslog::syslog, if the intention is to
check the $! after the call.

Note that even if $! is nonzero, there is no guarantee
that some intermediate step within some system routine
would set it to nonzero, but still complete successfully.
This is why system routines return their status as a
function result - with an unfortunate exception of syslog.