Ken,

> I use a mail filter comprised of Amavisd-new, Postfix, ClamAV, etc.  I'm
> having problems receiving e-mail from a major US corporation.  When I
> examine the logs, I find that the sender asserts the DATA command and
> Amavisd replies with "354 Please start mail input.".  The sender's
> server acts as if it never gets the reply or expects something
> different, because it never sends another byte.  After 120 seconds,
> Amavisd gives up.
> Although "354 Please start mail input." should be a valid SMTP go-ahead
> response, I'm assuming that the sending server expects something
> different more/different.  Is the go-ahead message configurable
> someplace?  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

In a post-queue setup, the client never sees the session between
MTA and a content filter, so it wouldn't matter what a content
filter says as long as it is valid according to RFC 2821.
Anyway, amavisd-new responds to DATA with:
  354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
(not configurable) and not with a message you are seing.
So it seems there is something else giving you trouble.