Rok,

> Oct 28 15:30:26 smtp-1 postfix/smtpd[3215]: warning: timeout talking
>   to proxy 127.0.0.1:10024
> Oct 28 15:30:26 smtp-1 postfix/smtpd[3215]: proxy-reject:
>   END-OF-MESSAGE: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error;

... on the other hand, it may just be that amavisd (SpamAssassin) took
more than the smtpd_proxy_timeout seconds (default 100) for processing
a message. Check the log and see if there are entries that took more
than 100000 ms for processing - these would certainly result in a
"queue file write error". Make sure the $child_timeout in amavisd.conf
is below 100 seconds - I'd set it to 45 or thereabout.

Don't know if these are rare and occasional failures that you noticed,
or do they happen regularly. On my previous posting I concentrated on
socket serialization - which may or may not be what is happening here.
If there is a lock/accept/select problem on accepting a socket, this
would probably result in hang of all amavisd processes: most would
be idling, but none willing to accept a connection. A stuck telnet
attempt with many/all processes idling would be a symptom of such state.
I have a more extensive patch to instrument the Net::Server with
additional logging, if we decide that this may be the problem.
But let's first rule out the more mundane possibility, as described
above.