Finally figured out what was the problem - penpals. Apparently that part
of the code isn't optimised for my kind of usage usage (pgsql backend,
table partitions, ...), I'm not quite sure why, but after disabling
penpals on all the gateways (~8 server) the load on the SQL server
dropped from 6 to 3 and there were no errors ever since... For now it'll
be fine, guess we'll have to do the db redesign sometime soon :S

--
BR, Rok