Hola

I think there should be a notice board on the DRIFT site so you can comment
on the work. But...maybe I missed it.

I think it to say events and occurrences speak for themselves is the usual
way for the artist to absolve themselves of responsibility for their work.

this only serves to reinforce the passive, apolitical and indeed
disturbingly voyeuristic nature of this type of sound art.

A question I often ask myself is ; is this type of work simply a NEW form of
audio tourism? since blaise cenders and the futurists already drove this
'city as narrative' stake into the black heart of ART eighty years ago.

are you sure there are people living in this city? any recordings of the
crack dealers in St Denis? maybe they would kick your ass when they see a
microphone. did the buskers get a Euro dropped their way? possibly not,
because then one has to explain why you are recording them.

OK, so....yes, artists should explore and expressing their feelings,
translate what they see or feel in their own unique way. but they should
NEVER be tourists. the marvelous within the everyday is when you cross the
road without being knocked down.

For me this piece does not work because it is too formally structured, a
linear construction utilizing the conventional concepts of motif and
mechanical repetition. devoid of any sense of any sense of personality,
flux, confusion or rapid oscillation which are common features of a city. it
says a lot about the techniques of the artist but nothing about the city.

"I'm not a tourist, I live here", as I once saw on a T-shirt in Berlin.

best

Robert Harmon