Hello

I thought someone on the list might appreciate this open discussion on the
microsound Digest about what could be described as 'digital audio fatigue'.

Calum

-------------------------

I'm really sensitive to a something like a fatiguing effect of digital
graininess... i notice it particularly after the contrast of changing
from cd to record and vice-versa. if i've had anything like a couple of
days of listening to records (where sounds emerge from inky blackness)
then i almost can't bear to listen to cd's. My cd transport and
separate filter (dac) are both quite good quality. The efffect is real
for me and puts me on edge. I also notice a sluggishness in rhythmic
and percussive material which contributes to a grating feeling and
hence extra stress. It doesn't matter whether its electronic or
acoustic music only. Am I alone in this? For me the effect is
particularly noticeable during night-time listening.

Best wishes,

David

------------------------------

digital graininess? are you saying the Nyquist theory is wrong?

the major source of "digital sound"  are digital mixers and editing
systems. they very seldom implements the correct math (like dithering
in all the right places). this is especially true of software that runs
native on a personal computer. some systems (especially on personal
computers) even use floating point math which intruduces more errors.
all these errors may be ignored if looked at one-and-one. but with a
typical mix (on top of which many use a lot of plugins) they really
start to add upp quickly. this distortion is not harmonically related
to the signal. but it is signal-dependent (i.e. distortion) and not
noise.

the other source i know of is jitter from the cd-transport that wrecks
the job of the DAC. you can alsways use a good low-jitter player like a
Linn Genki. or the Pioneer DV-668 which is exceptional compared to the
normal stuff from the usual japanese/american sources.

otherwise you have the normal stuff in commercial hardware that adds
fatigue when listening. like cheap powersupplies shared with all too
many stages. but these are all in the analog domain.

SACD/DSD records have their own problems as they will feed high levels
of >20kHz noise and distortion artifacts into your system that may
cause it to distort badly in the audible range.

but PCM as such? unless Nyquist is proven wrong it cannot be the cause
of any "digital stress".

many engineers have now started to add noise to their mixes. this can
be plain noise or recorded tape noise fron analogue tape recorders.
this is to make digital mixes more listenable. there are even CD:s
available with noise you can add to your mix. I havent heard these but
I know many commercial mixers have always used noise actively in their
mixes to get a brigher overall sound.

------------------------------

hmmm,  i get the same thing ,i think it is due to the nature of the digital
recording medium itself ,it is the exact opposite of analog(or nature) when
it comes to recording, its behavior,...and when things work against our
analog ears ,obviously this is one of the side effects. basically when we
speak softly or normally our voice sounds even and such, smooth, and when we
shout our vocal chords introduce slight distortions, just like anything in
nature. analog desks for instance have headroom above the 0(unity gain) and
when signals go above this range they also begin to introduce a natural
saturation or the "hot" sound, just like nature....but digital on the other
hand does not have this headroom, so what happens is that when you speak
softly into the microphone , in essence you are getting a grainy/poor
quality/distorted sound because not all of the bits were captured , and the
funny thing is when you scream and due reach the 0 or just about, you are in
essence getting a "smooth" sound because the distortions /graininess/poor
quality are absent due to the full bit resolution capture, and if you go
above 0 in digital your screwed, cool ha? Its too bad that when designers
were introducing digital recording they were obsessed with getting analogs
flaws out of the way(noise,etc) ,but totally left out the positive natural
aspects of analog...that was a bad move i think..but im sure in the coming
years it will head right back where digital borrow's all those flaws once
again..

m.

------------------------------

If anyone is interested in understanding the practicalities of
digital encoding, and why digital encoding introduces problems
like aliasing, this article may shed some light on the subject:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/synthsec.htm

I find it interesting because it shows the relationship between
sample and hold and digital encoding.

 From the article:

"An analogue signal can be reconstructed, without error, from
  samples taken at equal time intervals, provided that the sampling
  rate is greater than twice the highest-frequency component in the
  original signal."

--
homepage: http://alex.bash.sh
music: http://noise.me.uk

------------------------------

>I'm really sensitive to a something like a fatiguing effect of digital
>graininess...

I doubt this has anything to do with digital per se. The CD audio standard
is not ideal- 16 bit doesn't cover the full dynamic range of human hearing,
and there have always been problems encoding the highest frequencies in the
audible range at 44.1 kHz. Add in the myriad errors and distortions
introduced at all stages of digital production, from recording to mixing and
processing to playback, and you can get a fatiguing product- not to mention
the fetish in some genres of music for ultramaximizing everything til it
sounds like an orchestra of sledge hammers. Try listening to a well-made
digital recording at high audio standard in a proper setup, and see if the
fatigue still sets in...

best,
Ian

below]....there is quite the discussion about this topic as it relates
to digital reproduction techniques/dac's/disc & player jitter etc...and
how it effects audio quality going on there....you might want to check
it out......

------------------------------

From: jl

> many engineers have now started to add noise to their mixes. this can
> be plain noise or recorded tape noise fron analogue tape recorders.
> this is to make digital mixes more listenable. there are even CD:s
> available with noise you can add to your mix. I havent heard these but
> I know many commercial mixers have always used noise actively in their
> mixes to get a brigher overall sound.

that's very interesting, would you perhaps be able to point out some good
articles on that topic? i've been trying to do this in various way for a
while now and the results are very hit and miss. some guidelines would be
invaluable to me.

on a related note, everybody around me who presses records presses those
from cd masters, even those that mixdown to tape. does anybody have
experience with getting around that and pressing from tape? i would like to
try that once and should have the oportunity in the near future, what are
some of the pitfalls? how do i avoid them?

any pointers would be greatly apreceated.

yours,
kas.

There's a more theoretical article in the Computer Music Journal. I think
it's the same issue as Kim's "Aesthetics of Failure" article. Kind of a
cultural studies take on noise in recordings in the age of digital audio.

Ah, heck, I might as well give an actual citation.

Link, S. "The Work of Reproduction in the Mechanical Aging of an Art:
Listening to Noise." _Computer Music Journal_, 25:1, pp. 34-47, Spring
2001.

Don't let the unimaginative Benjamin reference fool you: this is a very
good article.