Hello ambit,

Just received this info via BBC web site. It seems James Boyle has jumped ship: does this spell the end for SAC? Also see the official SE announcement, below the BBC story.

Chris

---

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3649211.stm

New tsar to head culture review

James Boyle will be the new Culture Commissioner

A new Culture Commission is to be set up to review the funding and organisation of the arts. It will be headed by James Boyle, who is to step down from his role as chairman of the Scottish Arts Council.
Culture Minister Frank McAveety made the announcement as part of his long-awaited review of arts and culture. Mr McAveety said it was the beginning of a new era which would see a much wider access to the arts for everyone, wherever they lived.

Diverse culture

He told MSPs that the commissioner would head a year-long review which would lead to widespread reform.
Mr McAveety said that the review was a "once in a generation opportunity" to look seriously and with maturity at the place and provision of culture in Scotland. He added: "On St Andrew's Day last year, the first minister set out a vision of every citizen securing the right to access and excellence in our diverse culture, and the right to pursue the means of fulfilling whatever talents might be within them.
"We have given careful thought to how we can make the vision a reality."

The aim is to encourage wider access

The commission will be chaired by Mr Boyle, who will resign from the arts council despite earlier this month agreeing to a three-year extension to his contract. The former controller of BBC Radio Four had agreed to chair the arts quango, which oversees more than £60m in annual funding to a string of major arts organisations, until 2007. Mr McAveety said: "James is highly respected by the cultural community and I have been very impressed by the initiative and leadership he has brought to the arts council.
"An external commission, drawn from the wider community, will be best placed to listen to the cultural sector and understand what it tells them."

The commission will sit for 12 months, starting on 1 June. It will then make recommendations to Scottish ministers. An interim report is expected in October.

----

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/pages/news/2004/04/SETCS286.aspx

Independent Commission to review culture
 22/04/2004

An independent commission will review all existing cultural provision in Scotland over the next 12 months, the Parliament heard today.

It will make recommendations on the development of arts and culture, aiming to promote much wider access, excellence and building on the nation’s reputation for creativity.

Culture Minister Frank McAveety told MSPs that the review was a “once in a generation opportunity” to look seriously and with maturity at the place and provision of culture in Scotland.

He said:

"Today is the start of a new era for Scotland’s culture. On St Andrew’s Day last year, the First Minister set out a vision of every citizen securing the right to access and excellence in our diverse culture, and the right to pursue the means of fulfilling whatever talents might be within them. We have given careful thought to how we can make the vision a reality."
Cultural Policy Statement

The Commission will be chaired by James Boyle, presently chair of the Scottish Arts Council, who will resign that post to undertake the review.

Mr McAveety said:

"James is highly respected by the cultural community and I have been very impressed by the initiative and leadership he has brought to the Arts Council.

"An external Commission, drawn from the wider community, will be best placed to listen to the cultural sector and understand what it tells them. I expect the Commission’s members to be highly experienced people who understand Scotland’s rich and complex cultural landscape.

"The Commission will be able to look beyond, and confront, stereotypical notions of culture – and employ innovative and radical thinking, particularly in developing new ways of getting people involved."

Mr McAveety said he was looking forward to receiving 21st century solutions for a sector whose governance has developed over many decades and now needed to be brought up to date.

"Our future support for culture must make sure the sector is working at its most effective and harness all available resources to deliver best value, directing the maximum possible level of resources to cultural activity and unleashing the innate creativity of people throughout Scotland.

"The creativity of Scots – from the classroom to the boardroom – is the edge we need in a competitive world. Our duty as an Executive is to create the conditions that allow that creativity to flourish.

"I want us to work towards more equitable cultural provision for people in Scotland regardless of where they live, how old they are, or how much money they have. I believe a basic shift may be required in our cultural, political and administrative agencies to change the way they approach and deliver what they do."

The Commission will sit for 12 months, starting on June 1, 2004, and will then make recommendations to Scottish

------------------------------------------------- a m b i t : networking media arts in scotland post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] archive: http://www.mediascot.org/ambit info: send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and write "info ambit" in the message body -------------------------------------------------