On 2018-04-11 08:57 AM, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:

>>> so why bother?
>>>
>>> I think Michel's point is that the monitor and GPU hardware *cannot*
>>> really do this, because there's synchronization with audio to take into
>>> account, which the GPU or monitor don't know about.
>>
>> How does it work fine today given that all kernel seems to know is
>> 'current' or 'current+1' vsyncs.
>> Presumably the applications somehow schedule all this just fine.
>> If this works without variable refresh for 60Hz, will it not work for
>> a fixed-rate "48Hz" monitor (assuming a 24Hz video)?
>
> You're right. I guess a better way to state the point is that it
> *doesn't* really work today with fixed refresh, but if we're going to
> introduce a new API, then why not do so in a way that can fix these
> additional problems as well?

Exactly. With a fixed frame duration, we'll still have fundamentally the
same issues as we currently do without variable refresh, not making use
of the full potential of variable refresh.

> Say you have a multi-GPU system, and each GPU has multiple displays
> attached, and a single application is driving them all. The application
> queues flips for all displays with the same target_present_time_ns
> attribute. Starting at some time T, the application simply asks for the
> same present time T + i * 16666667 (or whatever) for frame i from all
> displays.

BTW, this is an interesting side point I've wanted to make: Any
applications / use cases which really do want a fixed refresh rate can
trivially do it with time-based presentation like this.

> Of course it's to be expected that some (or all) of the displays will
> not be able to hit the target time on the first bunch of flips due to
> hardware limitations, but as long as the range of supported frame times
> is wide enough, I'd expect all of them to drift towards presenting at
> the correct time eventually, even across multiple GPUs, with this simple
> scheme.
>
> Why would that not work to sync up all displays almost perfectly?

Seconded.

> How about what I wrote in an earlier mail of having attributes:
>
> - target_present_time_ns
> - hint_frame_time_ns (optional)
>
> ... and if a video player set both, the driver could still do the
> optimizations you've explained?

FWIW, I don't think a property would be a good mechanism for the target
presentation time.

At least with VDPAU, video players are already explicitly specifying the
target presentation time, so no changes should be required at that
level. Don't know about other video APIs.

The X11 Present extension protocol is also prepared for specifying the
target presentation time already, the support for it just needs to be
implemented.