On 2018-04-12 07:39 AM, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
> On 12.04.2018 01:30, Cyr, Aric wrote:
>>> At least with VDPAU, video players are already explicitly specifying the
>>> target presentation time, so no changes should be required at that
>>> level. Don't know about other video APIs.
>>>
>>> The X11 Present extension protocol is also prepared for specifying the
>>> target presentation time already, the support for it just needs to be
>>> implemented.
>>
>> I'm perfectly OK with presentation time-based *API*.  I get it from a user
>> mode/app perspective, and that's fine.  We need that feedback and would like
>> help defining that portions of the stack.
>> However, I think it doesn't make as much sense as a *DDI* because it doesn't
>> correspond to any hardware real or logical (i.e. no one would implement it
>> in HW this way) and the industry specs aren't defined that way.
>> You can have libdrm or some other usermode component translate your
>> presentation time into a frame duration and schedule it.  What's the
>> advantage of having this in kernel besides the fact we lose the intent of
>> the application and could prevent features and optimizations.  When it gets
>> to kernel, I think it is much more elegant for the flip structure to contain
>> a simple duration that says "hey, show this frame on the screen for this
>> long".  Then we don't need any clocks or timers just some simple math and
>> program the hardware.
>
> There isn't necessarily an inherent advantage to having this translation in
> the kernel. However, we *must* do this translation in a place that is owned
> by display experts (i.e., you guys), because only you guys know how to
> actually do that translation reliably and correctly.
>
> Since your work is currently limited to the kernel, it makes sense to do it
> in the kernel.

We're actively trying to change this. I want us (the display team) to
eventually own anything display related across the stack, or at least closely
work with the owners of those components.

> If the translation doesn't happen in a place that you feel comfortable
> working on, we're setting ourselves up for a future where this hypothetical
> future UMD component will get this wrong, and there'll be a lot of
> finger-pointing between you guys and whoever writes that UMD, with likely
> little willingness to actually go into the respective other codebase to fix
> what's wrong. And that's a pretty sucky future.

If finger-pointing happened I'd like to apologize. Again, this is something we
actively try to change.

Ultimately I'm looking for a solution that works for everyone and is not owned
on a SW component basis, but rather expertise basis.

Harry