Hello Brian and Mark,

very nice to see emails on this list :)

Compiling amforth with avra?

I have made numerous experiments a long time ago and again more
recently. If memory serves me well:
- Amforth had been good with avra, at least in the 4.x range.
- However, avrasm2.exe could do more clever tricks, and Matthias
started using those.
- I did make a fork of amForth from Version 5.0, this can be
assembled with avra, see:
https://git.sr.ht/~ew/hbv3_am50forth
- avra received a bit of attention not so long ago (same repo
you found):
https://github.com/Ro5bert/avra
> $ avra --version
> AVRA: advanced AVR macro assembler (version 1.4.2)
which among other changes now includes my favourite atmega644p.

So, I am currently dabbling with my fork again in the hope to
eventually catch that problem of long term stability. There is
absolutely no reason, why I have to reprogram one or two of my
controllers a few times per year, because they do not start up
after a power cycle, which in turn is done, because the
communication with that controller ceases to work. I went back
to amforth 5.0 for simplicity reasons.

All that being said, I would be very interested to see the
changes, maybe, just maybe we can fix the amForth source tree
enough to make avra happy.

Cheers,
Erich

Brian K Navarette <bknavare...@gmail.com> writes:

> That is awesome news!
> Brian-in-ohio
>

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 2:59 PM Mark Roth <cablegu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello AmForth. It has been some time and quite weird things since last I've
>> been here. I am still using AmForth with my trusty atmega1284p and learning
>> the language as time permits. I remember having heard talk that avra had
>> gotten (almost) to the point of being able to compile the source tree here.
>> First I tried with 1.3 I think and it failed miserably. Then I found a repo
>> on github (Ro5bert/avra) that seemed to almost but not quite do it. I was
>> getting a pile of errors for macro calls. So looking into the issues I saw
>> that someone had forked that repo and fixed the issue. Something to do with
>> not having a space between the opening parenthesis and the macro name. So I
>> tracked down the fix branch (srtlg/avra -b development-issue54 if I
>> remember correctly) and built that locally. Then substituted that avra
>> version with the wine one I had been using to build.
>> It still didn't build. Very almost, but not quite.
>> However, the issue was with errors in /avr8/words/d-lesszero.asm about the
>> Y register not being declared and/or able to be used for the adiw call.
>> Looking into the source tree I found other usages of y in those calls but
>> they were all in lower case.
>> Yeah, that did fix it. I'm not sure that I can flash my controller here
>> since I'm on summer break but it does seem promising. Or maybe I did pack
>> my programmer and can give it a go. The file sizes are the same or similar
>> but there are differences. Granted, I've made changes that may not be
>> represented in my working project and it may just be that.
>> Time will tell but it would be great to get rid of the need to use wine to
>> build AmForth here.
>> Well well well. It appears to have worked. I make install'd the whole thing
>> (since for some reason I did pack my usbasp and could try it out. I'm sure
>> more testing is needed but this really is pretty cool.

May the Forth be with you ...