Perhaps a howto on the site not as an email thread would be in order. This

> may not be a big deal for windows users, but people that want to use
> free-libre software will be drawn to use amforth if the entire build
> toolchain is FLOSS.

That is a very good suggestion. The whole thing is ridiculously simple but
having the steps set down, or better yet, cooked into the amForth repo
itself.

All I did was to clone the repo we were talking about then run 'make' from
the top of it. Since I am extraordinarily lazy this summer I didn't even
bother to install it somewhere into my PATH. I just made a link and copied
that into my project directory so I could change my makefile to
'./avra_amforth' because I'm a lazy old man and Debian. Then everything
else just works like it always did with avrasm2.

But yes, the proper way would be to have a version of avra that works maybe
in the tools directory that could be built once then used from there. But I
am at best an old hack not a proper programmer. Personally, my thought was
to fork into a github repo from the git stuff that is already done by Erich
and use that. I'm honestly very pleasantly surprised to see a number of you
all talking about this. I feared I was just yelling into the void (or
shaking my fists at clouds, choose your metaphor) when I put this up here.
There is so much great stuff on the Sourceforge site that is really helpful
to get spun up from scratch. Adding a 'How to use avra' would most
certainly be beneficial.

But, even I, a dedicated lover of email no matter how much the kids mock,
find the mailing list clunky to carry on conversations. I miss the ease of
issue pages. I do understand though that some people would be turned off by
github.

So anyhow, that is my 40 degree C afternoon rant. For some reason the gods
have decided that we need more heat in Greece again. I think the moving
forward part has to be decided by Erich if they want to add the avra stuff
into the repo. I have a few days until the end of the week that I will be
time rich so maybe I'll try to get a clean copy of the git work that has
been done and the avra stuff. I wish there was a real avra repo that we
could just mash into the source tree properly so it could be updated
correctly, but it seems more like a one off at this point. I know my debian
one is way way way old and I don't see that changing.

As always, all the best. I wish I would have discovered this project long
before I did.
Mark