> Just a completely naive question here.  If one could make 300-400%
>a year,
> why would he still be here on the internet helping others and
>trying to make
> his program better.

That is a fair question.

I might be crazy.

Most of the AB users who are doing > 50% aren't talking about it.
They don't talk because it affects their trading (focus).

Most traders are very secretive.
Some think that trading the edge, erodes the edge.
Others think that they could put their trading systems and secrets in
the Washington Post and it wouldn't effect their bottom line in the
slightest.

I am not doing 300%+ (if you don't talk me out if it I might do it).

I am talking far too much, at my own expense.
I might stop today because really, negativity is so subtle and I
can't accomodate it at all.

IMO the only way to approach trading is to make careful observations
on market behaviour and not have pre-conceived ideas on how it should
work.

If you make those observations, fearlessly (not worrying about what
the neighbours will think or say) then you will see that triple
figures are the potential.

Having identified the potential then I ask myself "How can I capture
100% of that" - that is how I am teaching myself to trade and driving
up the returns beyond what I first imagined were possible.

Only a handful of 'would be' traders will make it.

Do you want me to sell YOU short by speaking to you as if you are not
one of them?

Do you want me to patronise you, withold the truth or keep the truth
to myself?

Why do I do it?

I get carried away.

It is a philosphical point (new age stuff about whether we are
wealthy if and when we are witholding information that is useful to
others - what is wealth? - do you think I should sell my original
ideas?)

My wife doesn't want me to give away my trading secrets and she is
not happy about the time I spend writing for the UKB and talking in
the forum.

I would dishonour myself, and my teachers teachers, if I didn't act
according to the principles that I embody.

I don't have a house by the lake.

If you make it you won't end up buying Canada either.

You are not greedy etc.

You will be easily satisfied and get bored with trading and simply
slow down or stop - at a certain point.

Anyway, as a couple of us already said - you can't keep compounding
and make those returns (if you could the corps would be doing it) -
you have to cap your account at a limit to sustain a reasonable life
style and do something besides sitting at the screen).

brian_z

--- In amibroker@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Préfontaine"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Just a completely naive question here.  If one could make 300-400%
a year,
> why would he still be here on the internet helping others and
trying to make
> his program better.   300-400% a year would allow me to buy the
Montreal
> Canadiens in ten years!  I would be as rich as Bill Gates in 20-25
years.  I
> could even pay tons of programmers all for myself at that point.
>
> Do you understand what I mean?  I do not say that I don't believe
it is
> possible, but I am very skeptical about this because personnaly at
300-400%
> I would pay someone to do the trades and I would sit tight on the
beach
> somewhere far from the shitty white cold stuff all around here in
Montréal!
> Hehe! ;-)
>
> I will try to keep my eyes open and watch for the gold.  But my
objectives
> are far less than that.  If I could make 35% a year (conpounded) I
would be
> more than happy.  (My gf brother-in-law is making that and he has a
nice
> home in front of a beautiful lake and has three kids, two cars, and
he seems
> more than happy with that!)
>
> Louis
>
> p.s. Of course I would not reject the idea of getting richer than
that.  If
> sky is to be the limit, then bring me there!
>
> 2008/2/26, brian_z111 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >   Thanks,
> >
> > I am still developing after approx 4 years so 300-400 is a
tentative
> > figure (I didn't pluck it out of thin air - it forced itself upon
me
> > by observation). For that reason this is 'newish' thinking for me
so
> > your comments are a perfect help for me to foramlise my thinking
on
> > the subject.
> >
> > Thanks for posting.
> >
> > Obviously I am getting to the point where I am going out on a
limb,
> > relative to other traders, so confirmation from 1-2 other traders
is
> > all I need to accept that I am not going up a dead end gully.
> >

> > brian_z
> >
> > --- In amibroker@yahoogroups.com <amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>,
Dennis
> > Brown <see3d@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Brian,
> > >
> > > Points taken --though, I have a goal of 500% average in my
trading
> > > simulations. I also have a theoretical trading mode for how good
> > the
> > > entries are with perfect exits and how good the exits are with
> > perfect
> > > entries. That gives me a real good idea about what my upper
limit
> > > is. It also lets me explore the profit potential of different
> > > timeframes so I can focus on the best ones for my trading style.
> > It
> > > is good to know what can be achieved so you know when you have
> > arrived.
> > >
> > > Best regards,

> > go

> > limit,