> "Years ago my young son bought one of those scooters with his own
> hard-earned money..."

Steve,

The switch-mode chargers used for scooters are notoriously noisy.  I had a
similar issue with the neighbor to the side of me.  These supplies offer
little or no common-mode filtering between the switcher circuit and the AC
line.

In my own home, several SMPS have caused interference.  I have been
replacing SMPS types with used, industrial linear supplies (e.g., Lambda,
PowerOne, etc.)   Many SMPS designs are fine and produce no interference.
The most problematic chargers seem to be imported from Asia and/or are
imbedded into our household appliances where they are exempt from Part 15
certification.  Part 15 requires an entire re-write since the proliferation
of microprocessors and SMPS devices in common household appliances over the
past decade.

Paul, W9AC