It can be quite interesting approaching someone who innocently is a source of
interference.

Years ago when I worked in two-way we had a problem with interference on the
input of a customers repeater.

A signal would come and go, sounded like TV raster. Was strong enough to take
out the lower power mobiles, which generally

were about 15 miles from the repeater.

We started hunting it from the repeater site. Ended up in a nearby town, then
into a neighborhood. By then it was so strong that we had trouble

isolating one house. Noticed a UHF dish on one tower. I said to my boss "I bet
someone who's that interested has a preamp up there".

We were right. He pulled the power to the preamp, and the signal went away.

But we had to do come explaining how his TV was interfering with security guys
twenty five miles away.

Luckily we took a receiver into his house, could hear the interference, and
that it went away when he killed the preamp.

Even still, I'd rather approach the person than ever call the Commission.

After having my radio station inspected twice, I'd rather keep my distance.

And then there's the story of a guy I knew who complained to the Commission
about a competitor and ended up being given a LONG list of violations himself.

Bob

WB3AWJ