From: "Clint Bradford" <clintbra...@earthlink.net>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>; <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:19 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Arrow Antennas

> > ... Why are we modifying the Arrow?
>
> > ... Because someone's analysis says the element length is all wrong ...
>
> So Al Lowe's software program which he used to design these is all wrong?
>
> Sorry to get defensive on Al's behalf. This thread just "feels" like a
re-hash of an "engineer's view vs. real world results" argument. Like when I
was told here - by engineers - that it mattered how I twisted my Arrow while
working the sats. "Ya gotta take polarization into account, Clint - there's
a 22db difference when you turn your antenna 90 degrees - a tremendous
performance hit if you don't take this into account ... "

> Yet in the real world of demonstrating workin' the birds, there's no such
performance degradation. I have hundreds of witnesses to this fact: Capture
SO-50 and AO-51 with the Arrow and operate TX and RX while twisting the
antenna in different angles doesn't change the great reception and
transmission quality.

> If you are in the market for an Arrow, I simply suggest that you use it as
offered to you. You will be pleased with its 2M and 440 amateur bands
performance. And leave the modding of the elements w-a-y on the bottom of
your "things to do" lists.