From: Bruce Robertson [mailto:ve9...@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 October 2009 02:01 PM
To: Allan Saul
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Arrow 10W Duplexer Performance Measurements

I'm grateful to everyone who has contributed to this discussion.

It strikes me that the greatest improvement we could make to hand-held
yagis would be to somehow integrate a low noise preamp circuit very
close to the 70cm port. I have an indoor-style ARR preamp that I've
thought of connecting to the boom with cable ties. A powersupply using
AA batteries and a DC to DC buck-boost chip from, e.g., Maxim, would
keep the whole thing light. (Alternatively, I see that the max voltage
for my ARR is pretty high: I might get away with a pair of Nicad '9v'
batteries.)

Like so much of amateur radio, it's more of a challenge of
construction than anything else.

Has anyone experimented with this sort of improvement?

73, VE9QRP
Bruce