Bruce,
 Funny this should come up. I was doing some research on what kind of
luck folks had with Ramsey preamps and came upon this link...
http://www.worldwidedx.com/home-brew-mods/35101-ramsey-pr40-440mhz-preamp-kit.html
I don't think this guys application used a diplexer and my 70cm antenna
will be strictly receive as well but this struck me as kind of what you
were talking about doing with the ARR unit.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ