Hey Reid,

Since starting to work the satellites, I've only made one trip that involved 
air travel - from Atlanta to International Falls, Minn. I carried two radios 
with backup batteries, a small digital records and other accessories in my 
carry-on bag. I packed the antenna in my checked baggage.

The TSA in Atlanta breezed me through check-in on the way north. My antenna 
arrived in the checked bag in perfect shape, and it made the trip home safely 
and without any damage whatsoever. On the way home, TSA in International Falls 
totally unpacked my carry-on and physically inspected every piece of 
radio-related gear I had. When I saw they were starting to do that, I produced 
the wallet-size copy of my FCC license to make sure they knew I was a licensed 
ham.

They were very nice, and asked several questions about working the satellites 
with a handheld station. There weren't any problems at all. 

That being said, I suspect the level of interest you attract could be directly 
related to which airport(s) you use. Atlanta TSA acted like I didn't have 
anything in the carry-on. International Falls TSA was pretty much the opposite. 
If I were you, I'd expect anything. 

73 and safe travels,

Tim - N3TL
Athens, Ga. - EM84ha



________________________________
From: Reid Crowe <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 12:44:23 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb]  Transporting HT and Arrow Antenna on commercial flight

Has anyone had luck with transporting an HT on a commercial flight in 
their carry on luggage recently?  I doubt I'd have much luck with 
transporting an arrow antenna in my carry on.  Any thoughts?

73

Reid N0RC
_______________________________________________
Sent via [email protected]. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb
_______________________________________________
Sent via [email protected]. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb

Reply via email to