At 04:11 AM 2/22/2011, Rocky Jones wrote:

>My argument with AMSAT and others is that the organization should be
>leading by pushing more linear devices AND birds with larger
>footprints.  Where I think things got off track badly was with the
>notion of AO-40...the theory that we had to build a satellite that
>people could work "worldwide" with not much antenna and other
>equipment.  Oscar 10 and 13  (along with Arsene) in my view is about
>the baseline satellite that AMSAT should be building and trying to
>lead the satellite movement.  As long as "baseline" satellite access
>is a handitalkie with a long whip...we are not going to see much
>different in my view nor should we expect it

Linear birds are a good idea, and the idea of creating an "off the
shelf" transponder package that university groups can install into
their projects has been discussed here before, to help that
end.  larger footprints would be nice (and extremely useful in this
part of the world), but the trick there is getting the launch
opportunities at an affordable price, since it seems most affordable
launch opportunities are to LEO.  You can only place your bird where
the ride takes you, unless you add propulsion, which means extra
weight and complexity (meaning more cost, fewer launch opportunities
and higher risk of failure, and most likely fewer birds).

One of these days, I'll have a crack at the linear birds we have.  I
have the gear, just have to get around to using it! :)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com