Actually, the first thing I install on a new computer is Linux (OpenSuse, usually), then put Windows in the virtual machine, if I need it.

But, to Drew's question, consider APRSIS32 for APRS use. There's even some satellite tracking capability, so you know what other APRS stations are within a satellite's footprint.

Also, FLDIGI sound-card digital software, and MMSSTV for slow-scan TV. Oh, and the AO-27 schedule prediction software.

Enjoy the new computer; I'm looking to do the same soon. Mine is getting senile (forgetting it has one of the disks)...

Greg KO6TH

Ronald Nutter wrote:
Drew:

Think about getting Virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org). If you can migrate your physical hard drive to a virtual one, you can run your XP environment almost forever. Also when you move machines in the future, the OS wont matter, all you need to do is move the virtual machine and you are done.

Ron