And it's free. And that includes not having to pay for anti-virus software on top of paying for the O/S (though in this case apparently Win 7 is already there), or reboot for the ever-coming patches. And even if you use the free AV software, it still takes up valuable CPU and memory resources, which on a smaller machine can be a killer.

Uptime on this PC, by the way, is currently 224 days. OpenSuSE 12.1, on an old 2 ghz AMD Sempron. I think I have 3gb of RAM installed, but it used to have a lot less 224 days ago (under a gig, if I recall). My PC at work is running OpenSusE 11.4, and it's been up for well over 200 days as well. I also run VMPlayer with Windows 7 inside, but it's up and down like a yo-yo with the corporate-driven patches that get applied.

APRSIS/32, if you want to run APRS, works excellently in Wine on Linux, much better in my opinion than XASTIR. I have also run several of the Windows-based satellite tracking programs in Wine, if you need compatibility, though I prefer gpredict.

Ubuntu is a very popular Linux distro, but I prefer OpenSuSE. The user experience is more main-stream (but without being too Windows-like), and all of the system configuration utilities are bundled into a single setup tool, so they're easy to find and have the same look & feel.

Greg KO6TH