On 10/31/2013 01:44 AM, Bryce Salmi wrote:
> I would imagine that if your AMSAT.org email address is public and
> posted online then spammers could email it which then gets forwarded and
> might look like a trusted email to your email provider and not flagged
> as spam.Just a thought.

My amsat.org email address is already public, as evidenced by all the
spam it collects. It's been standard spamming practice for a long time
to connect to mail servers and just run through as many names as
possible in the hopes of finding a few; I'm sure they do that to
amsat.org along with the rest.

But spammers have shown themselves unwilling to spend much, if any, of
their own personal time collecting email addresses. If they can automate
it, they'll do it because the cost is practically zero. If they have to
do it by hand, they won't.

By returning a human-readable (but not machine readable) message to
anyone mailing me at amsat.org, any human who wants to reach me still
can. But the spammers aren't as likely to get it.

It's interesting that even though my current primary email address has
been active for 10 years, and even though it collects plenty of direct
spam, fully 1/4 of all my spam still comes via amsat.org.

Phil