I think Patrick's comment about needing to use USB when operating CW is the key one. I also, for the very few times I have attempted CW on satellites, needed to use USB on the downlink so I could keep my return signal audible. CW in both directions, even with computer control, is more frustrating than it's worth, and our satellites aren't so weak as to need the narrowest of bandwidths to pull the signal out of the noise.

I do agree that USB would definitely help with hearing what's going on around you, and I expect a nice dongle-based (waterfall) receiver would be even better.

Greg KO6TH

Clayton Coleman wrote:
Hi Tim,

I completely agree that different methods of Doppler shift correction
yield slightly different results.  The "one true rule" is a good
source for guidance however some don't follow it -- even remotely.   I
do apologize if my generalization rubbed you the wrong way.

Since your direct email indicated to me you adjust your transmit
frequency on AO-7 mode B, that would indicate you are following a good
practice of correction.  Likely meaning you are NOT one of the
stations who drift during their entire sequence of calling CQ for five
minutes.....  Not everyone plays nice in the schoolyard.  I've been
known to screw up and probably am not immune from it in the future.

I still wonder if the offenders listened on USB would they realize
they've come onto a frequency being used by two or more stations
engaged in a voice QSO?

73
Clayton
W5PFG