On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 07:18:02PM -0700, Jérôme Gagnon-Voyer wrote:

> >Ok, thx, I'm glad that YOU ARE STILLL ALIVEEEEEEEEEE... lol,
> >seriously though, the inactivity of the ML is
> >killing me...
> >
> No comment
>
> --
>

> I cannot find the email that explains why we should move out of
> sourceforge, especially for the main website. I'm really, really,
> really, really, affraid that now that we get out of sourceforge, that
> we're gonna get some news from Microsoft. Hidden behind the
> sourceforge domain name is one thing, get amsn-messager.net or any
> web domain with the name MSN will probably bring Microsoft to us, I
> foresee a lot of problems. In my opinion this is suicide.
>
> Remember what happened to dMSN and their domain name? You all forgot
> that?

Hey, Jerome,
You are right at being afraid, and Alvaro has the same fears as you... but I
don't think we should limit
ourselves because of those fears..w hat's the worst that could ever happen ?
they tell us to change our name ?
that's it ? then we'll do it and we'll move, just like so many projects did..
and look at the thread right
now, you already want to change the name to avoid M$ making us change it ?
let's take the risk, if something
happens, then we change it and that's it..
I think if we stay afraid and take no risks, then we won't be able to advance..
ever... also, what's the worst
that could happen ? amsn dies ? well in that case, I don't see how much
different it will be from our current
situation.. when was the last 'meaningfull' commit done ? can't remember...
there was no advancements since
the 0.96 RC1....

> --
> Keep the same domain name
> Jerome

we can't keep amsn.sourceforge.net because it's a .sourecforge.net domain..
unless we use some trick and use
the static ip of jronline...

> It's not that I don't want aMSN to be independant...it's just that
> Microsoft is gonna give us a lot of trouble one day or another. Right
> now, we just play with fire and we're gonna get burned  one day or
> another. And I don't want to come back here in few months and answer
> the stupid "I told you so", we all know we're gonna get problems if
> we do that.

yes, I agree, we play with fire, but I prefer to play with fire than to let
amsn die because of inactivity,
lack of motivation, etc... and as u said, M$ will give us trouble "one day or
another", well, if they will,
why not make something move until they do ?
Also, what pushes me to get a domain name without fears is because
'amsnforums.net' was registered for a long
time now and we never had any problems... I'll talk about that in another mail

KKRT