Hey Tom..
it seems this n00b subscribers eclipsed your thread and noone answered you...
well, just to make sure people re-read your original post, I'm answering..
but I have nothing to say as I don't know what's causing this.. maybe asking in
#tcl on IRC might help.. but first try to reproduce it
with a small tcl script (a few lines creating a menu with -underline...)

KKRT