On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 6:01 AM, Arantes <arantes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
> Just wanted to say ... I really don't like this. Not because of the use of
> DBUS, or the multiprocess or not, but because i really think that if we do
> that, aMSN won't be aMSN no more. It would just be another multi protocol
> client, like there are tons of. I really think aMSN should stay a msn-only
> client, that's how it can be the best at it.

Yes, we know that, we already do, and that's why we always wanted aMSN to
stay MSN specific, and I don't think we plan on stopping that!  the
multiprotocol is a 'bonus', but we'll stay MSN-centric, we'll continue to
support the MSN protocol as much as possible, the UI will stil keep the WLM
look&feel, etc... we'll just change the protocol backend/technology, which
itself allows us to go multi proto...

Besides that, i can't really have an opinion about that dbus and telepathy
> stuff, cause i don't know enough about that, but i can't understand why
> making amsn2 able to switch FE would need a client daemon structure. Why
> couldn't we just keep the same structure as now and add to the core the
> ability to "kill" a front end, then launch another one ? Of course we would
> need to implement a lot of stuff, like that the core should not only pass
> all the messages to the FE but also keep them to be able to re send them to
> the potential new FE..

Because you can't.. if you launch the process somewhere for the GTK/QT
frontends, then connect through ssh then you can't just ask it to start
sending the curses front end on your terminal...

> That would be simpler than rewriting almost the whole protocol abstraction
> layer to make it compatible with a telepathy backend, wouldn't it ?

nah, the 'whole protocol abstraction' is quite small and simple, we're not
rewriting the whole protocol, just the protocol layer. Look at
amsn2/protocol/client.py (
http://github.com/amsn/amsn2/blob/master/amsn2/protocol/client.py ).. that's
pretty much all we need to rewrite... there are some files in events/
subdir, but look at them.. not much.. so when you say "rewriting almost the
whole protocol abstraction layer" I don't think it's too much of an issue
compared to the gain.

An advantage of telepathy, is for example when you said "we need the core to
save the messages in order to pass them back to the new FE".. there's no
need for that.. we could use the telepathy-logger! amsn2 itself doesn't need
to be saving logs, because telepathy has its own 'logger' process which acts
as an 'observer' on the channels.. so if you wish to switch front-ends, you
can just ask it to re-print it the last X lines of conversation or
something.
(and btw, it gives us the advantage that the logs will be in the same format
and compatible with empathy, etc.. )