On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:10 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This change has been approved. There are still some details to work
> out. What do Anaconda folks think for the custom partitioning use case
> where the use manually creates disk-based swap? Should and could the
> installer then also do:
>
> 'touch /etc/systemd/zram-generator.conf'
>
> post install? The effect is to disable the zram-generator and there'd
> be only disk-based swap. The alternative outcome without this is
> they'll have both swap-on-zram with a higher priority than the
> swap-on-disk they created.
>
> I'm open to suggestions. I think it's mainly a question about what you
> think the user expects in this situation. That's hard to answer
> because the user expects disk based swap as a long standing
> convention. And there is no convention for either swap-on-zram yet, or
> two swap devices, even though the kernel has supported up to 32 swap
> devices since forever.
>
> The best experience performance wise would be to have the two swaps.
> They gain from swap-on-zram at first, and perhaps mostly. Followed by
> the secondary use of disk based swap. But I'm not opposed to disabling
> zram-generator in this case. It is a more conservative option and
> might better square with expectations.

Hi Chris,

we have discussed it and we don't really have a strong preference. Enabling
both seems like a slightly better choice, because the installed systems
won't be so different. As far as I know, the hibernation will still work
and, as you said, the performance should be better. The generator can be
always disabled in a %post script of a kickstart file or after booting into
the installed system.

Vendy