LOGFIX.VBS is a VBScript script/program, so you have to have Windows
Scripting Host installed. (It's installed by default when you install
IIS4, as far as I can remember, so a .VBS script may be a better option
than a perl script for people who aren't comfortable with installing
perl on their server (or who aren't allowed, in some cases), and who
aren't in that much of a hurry :-). The brief documentation is included
in comments within the script.

It works by reading each line in the specified log file, calculating the
Date from any #Date: fields it finds, and incrementing it's date counter
when the timestamp in a log entry is earlier than the previous entry
(for example, if the previous line has a time stamp of 22:45, and the
current entry says 12:34, it knows that the Date should be incremented).
Any #Field: entries have Date added, if it's not already there, and
individual log entries have the calculated date inserted (if it's not
already there).

To use the script, you just specify the date part of the Log file name
(eg 9909), and LOGFIX.VBS opens EX<date>.LOG and creates a new logfile
AN<date>.log. (The original log is not modified in any way, in case
there are any problems, so make sure you have enough disk space for a
duplicate log). LOGFIX.VBS will happily work for daily, weekly or
monthly logs, though if your logfile is small, and there any days that
don't have any hits at all, obviously LOGFIX can't calculate the correct
date for subsequent entries.

Aengus