Hi Erik,

Erik Bernhardson <ebernhard...@wikimedia.org> schrieb am Mi., 14. März 2018
um 15:34 Uhr:

> Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out the last week. Responses
> inline.
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 1:27 AM, Georg Sorst <g.so...@findologic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Erik,
>>
>> is there some documentation / further reading available on the machine
>> ranking used for Wikipedia? This sounds very interesting!
>>
>> The code for managing all the data and training models is in
> https://github.com/wikimedia/search-mjolnir. This is a pyspark
> application that starts with the logged click data and transforms it into
> trained models. The models are currently trained using xgboost, but we are
> considering lightgbm as a replacement. Collecting click data is done
> separately with some processing of web request logs to match up search
> requests with their clicks.

Great stuff, thank you!

> And can you elaborate on how the aggregated search queries are PII?
>>
>> The problem is that any aggregation of search queries that wants to be
> used to learn a ranking function needs to be provided the original query
> string. That string is then not aggregated, it is passed straight through
> from the users keyboard to the output data. We unfortunately don't have the
> kind of search volume, and don't keep long enough records (only 90 days) ,
> to place arbitrary limits for minimum unique sessions issuing a query,
> and still have data that is representative of the whole. For example on
> english wikipedia, which is by far the most popular, only 60% of search
> sessions involve a query that was issued more than 10 times in the last 90
> days. And 10 times is *way* too low for public release (I'm not sure where
> a reasonable cutoff might be, but its certainly not 10).
>

> Thank you!
>
>> Georg
>>

>> Georg Sorst <g.so...@findologic.com> schrieb am Mo., 5. März 2018 um
>> 20:31 Uhr:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> sorry for this messy post - I forgot to subscribe to the list so I can't
>>> directly reply to your responses.
>>>
>>> Nuria:

>>> wikis
>>> some or which are not very large so you might be able to use them.
>>>
>>> Is the raw data available? Can I compute the clickstream myself?
>>>
>>> Erik:

>>> the
>>> top 20 sites by search volume that we host. Simple wikipedia isn't one of
>>> those we currently use machine ranking for though.
>>>
>>> Awesome! Is there more info available somewhere? Algorithms used etc.
>>> maybe even source code?
>>>

> We use a DBN (chapelle, 2009) to transform click stream data into labeled
> search result data, and then LambdaMART for the final ranking model. Link
> to mjolnir which does the training linked above.
>

>> > Because of that we do have the data you need, but the problem will be
>>> that the actual search
>>> queries are considered PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and not
>>> something I can release publicly. It may be possible to release
>>> aggregated
>>> data sets that don't include the actual search terms, but at that point I
>>> don't think the data will be useful to you anymore.
>>>
>>> I think I'm fine with query-document pairs. Isn't that sufficiently
>>> aggregated to not be considered PII?
>>>
>>> As mentioned above, the query is the hard part. Query strings contain
> arbitrary information and if you want to build a ranking function you have
> to have those original queries to do feature collection.

Just for my understanding (not a Machine Learning expert yet :) ): I would
need (query -> document) pairs such as ("machine learning" ->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning) and how often each of these
pairs has ocurred, right? Even if this pair has only occured once, how is
this PII? Or do I need more than just (query -> document)?

Thank you so much, this is all very enlightening!
Georg