Hi Pine,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Analytics,
>
> Are views of republished Wikimedia content, such as on Google and Youtube,
> something that we could include in addition to Wikimedia pageview statistics?
> I imagine that this would require cooperation from Alphabet and other
> companies that reuse Wikimedia content. It would be nice if we could get that
> cooperation.

This is an interesting idea, and as Dan has mentioned in his response,
something that we're generally interested in. Measuring re-use can
open up a lot of opportunities for us as a Movement: that the
importance of Wikipedia does not end in Wikipedia, that the content
and knowledge is presented to different audiences through a variety of
channels.

While we may be able to start getting some raw numbers for re-use from
specific platforms (through cooperations that you called out or other
means), the problem is much more complex than what those raw numbers
can show and a part of me is interested to address that more
fundamental question and not summarize the value of Wikipedia with
direct pageviews. We all know that the value of WP doesn't end in
Wikipedia. For example, the exact/rough value of Wikipedia for
Knowledge Vault [1] which was/is the underlying mechanism for
surfacing search results in Google and other major websites' products
is unknown to us. It is easier to measure how many times Wikipedia is
directly used in Google Home, Alexa, Google/bing/etc. search, and
harder to see the value of Wikipedia for many of the services we enjoy
using today on and outside of the Web (including search logic,
Google/Yandex/etc. translation machines, many of the advancements in
AI and ML fields (NLP field has highly benefited from WP for example
and NLP is heavily used across many industries), ...).

From the research perspective, the really interesting and informing
research question is: what is the value of Wikipedia? (both economic
and otherwise) across the many languages. It would be great to be able
to get to the bottom of this question. If we can measure this, we have
opened up a major force to open up more doors for Wikipedia.

Best,
Leila

[1]
https://storage.googleapis.com/pub-tools-public-publication-data/pdf/45634.pdf