RichardS wrote:
> Steve, I'm sure the instance is created by
>
> setContentView(R.layout.lunar_layout)
>
> so the constructor will have been run by the time we do
>
> mLunarView = (LunarView) findViewById(R.id.lunar)

Correct.

If you look in res/layout/lunar_layout.xml, you will see the declaration:

<com.example.android.lunarlander.LunarView
       android:id="@+id/lunar"
       android:layout_width="fill_parent"
       android:layout_height="fill_parent"/>

When the layout is inflated via setContentView(), the constructors for
each widget and container are called. For built-in widgets like
FrameLayout, Android knows they are in the package android.widget; for
custom ones, the full namespace is spelled out in the layout
(com.example.android.lunarlander.LunarView).

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com