On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM, khendar <khen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Raphael. I was running Classic. I installed the Java version
> and that fixed it.
>
> Maybe that needs to be made clearer in the documentation ? :)

It is in the system requirements:

http://d.android.com/sdk/1.5_r1/requirements.html

> Out of curiosity, is it possible at all to get it to work in Classic ?
> Are there perhaps additional packages that can be installed to allow
> the Android stuff to work properly ?

I tried a while ago and failed. With P2 (the new installer in Eclipse
3.4) I didn't manage to get it to install the missing plugins. The old
one at least complained some stuff was missing, the new one seems to
just let you install something that doesn't work.

According to the feature matrix at
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/compare-packages, Classic
lacks GEF (for the layout editor) and XML Tools (for the XML editor).
Yet Classic manages to be twice bigger than the "Java" version that
has more plugin, so really what's the point? Sure it has sources
bundled but quite frankly who ues them and it's easier to get plugins
sources from CVS anyway.

R/