Android is a very powerful platform which supports several radio
interfaces.

For your communication to a backend server Wifi as well as 3G are
pretty fast.
Regarding the communication to the server in the backend you might
have to resolve NAT traversal problems but otherwise than this I don't
see any limitations (besides that you are running on an embedded
device).

--
Roman Baumgaertner
Sr. SW Engineer-OSDC