Hi,

I downloaded android sdk release 3 for mac as per the instructions,
but when I try to download the platforms by running Android SDK and
AVD Manager - I get the following error:

Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml,
reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP
in the settings.

I don't understand why I should be getting this error in the first
place.  However, since I couldn't fix it, I tried changing the https
prefix to http.  This time, I got one step further - it was able to
show available packages - but these packages are only API packages and
the USB package.  It doesn't show the platform packages which are
required for the API packages to work.  When I go ahead to install
these anyway - the installation fails because there are no platforms.

Just to confirm - I don't see any files/folders under the platforms
directory.  List of AVDs in Android UI is empty as well.

After spending nearly two hours trying various combinations of this
and researching online, I am at my wits end, so any help is quite
appreciated!

Thanks,
Ram.