I can't tell from your description exactly how you're trying to set
the option, but here's what worked for me:

If you’re having trouble getting Gestures Builder in the emulator to
accept a multi-stroke
gesture, you can create your own version of Gestures Builder and
modify the default
value of FadeOffset. GestureBuilder is provided as a sample
application under your
Android SDK directory, in platforms/android-2.0/samples/
GestureBuilder. You can
create a new Android project in Eclipse using the “Create project from
existing sample”
option and choosing GestureBuilder from the drop-down menu. Then go
into the
project’s /res/layout/create_gesture.xml file and add the attribute
android:fadeOffset="1000" to the GestureOverlayView element. This will
extend
FadeOffset to 1 second (1000 milliseconds). You are free to choose a
different value if
you wish.

- dave
www.androidbook.com