It looks to me like Eclipse is not downloading/installing everything
it needs for ADT. It states that there are no new updates for ADT
(after having installed ADT and Android DDMS) however there is no
mention of Android amongst any of the preference settings (which to me
would suggest that ADT is not installed).

I had a go at installing Android SDK and ADT for eclipse on another
compter I have (Ubuntu). Also didn't work but for a different reason.
Installed the Android SDK no problem. Added the repository "http://dl-
ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/" to eclipse. It suggested that I
installed "Android Dalvik Debug Monitor Service" and "Android
Developer Tools". I checked both. Clicked on next and eclipse seems to
freeze.

IMO configuring IDE's is often more complicated than actually writing
an app