But this is still just a hack to solve what shouldn't be an issue at all.  I
understand that there are security concerns and all sorts of other reasons
to be careful with databases, but bluntly put, there's no good reason that
an easy to use and implement method of using a pre-loaded db doesn't exist.
 Apps need data.  Databases are a good (if not perfect) way to store &
access data.  Therefore the methods for doing so should be readily
accessible.  It shouldn't require any extra action on the part of the user,
and it shouldn't require that developers do all sort of contortions to make
it work.  This should be a simple thing.  Including a db as an asset should
make it accessible, and you should be able to do so with less than 5 lines
of code.

--
I have no bit of wisdom to include as a signature.