The most likely reason for it to be slow is that it is a huge image
you are loading.  You could also try making it a PNG -- since pretty
much all of the UI is PNG images, those are loaded into each app as
they start, so the performance of that is clearly acceptable -- though
as far as I know JPEG loading is quite reasonable as well.

As for it taking less time the second time, well the resource is
already loaded from the first time so it won't load it again.