Hmmm.. I tested it again and the startActivity()/finish() seems to be
working now.

It may have been an issue with an exception that was thrown in the
child activity during initialization.  I would launch the app, briefly
see the entry-point activity, get a first draw of the child, and then
a error dialog.  When I clicked past the error dialog, I would see the
entry-point activity again, then the child activity, then another
error dialog that would close the app.  I didn't commit my code at
that point and don't remember specifics.

But slightly related...
Is there anyway to prevent the brief view of the redirecting
activity's UI?  It seems silly to push through start/resume/pause/stop
when the app has already requested a new startActivity() or finish()
from onCreate().