On 07/16/2010 05:35 PM, String wrote:
On 16 July, 16:14, "Maps.Huge.Info (Maps API Guru)"<cor...@gmail.com>
wrote:
(Pardon the continued hijack)
Likewise. ;^)
+1

 From my analysis, the key metric in market position is acceleration,
not total downloads, comments or anything else.

I respectfully disagree... if this were the case there wouldn't be
nearly so much stability at the top of every category. While I don't
deny that "acceleration" may be part of the equation, I doubt it's
key. My guess is that some metric like "downloads per week" is more
likely; this would account for both hot new arrivals and old-timers
with continuing popularity.

Since this is all speculation, perhaps there is an even simpler method: It is obvious that the phone reports back what is still installed now and then (presumably when it looks for updates). To also report back how many times that application has been (manually) launched and/or number of seconds on screen since last report wouldn't be particularly hard to implement (though it probably would trigger a bit of paranoia). I'm not saying it DOES, but such stats might be a reasonably fair indication of actual popularity.

                        Best / Jonas