I claim this is a good thing. You compile it once, you know it will
compile and run everywhere.

Introspection and/or moving code to platform-specific subclasses (and
often into platform-specific jars compiled only on that platform)
handle the "undefined symbols" problem quite nicely. They also provide
the ENORMOUS benefit of locating your platform dependencies in a
single place. Simply build a platform-independent abstraction around
your platform-dependent layer.