> The app name is set in the developer console; doesn't matter what you
> use in the app.

What you can change in console  app title seen in Market. It got nothing
to do with app name itself.

> Unfortunately, to change anything in the market youhave to re-load
> your app,

Which is quite obvious if you ask me. APK changes does not populate
other way.

> and it checks that the version number is higher before it
> will accept the new apk.

How otherwise you would like to user know about the update?

> So you can't rename without also incrementing
> the release number.

Which is not big deal. You just made a change so update have to have
higher versionCode