I would love to be able to use the Directions API in my Android app,
but I'm confused by the information in the Directions API
documentation: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/directions/
so the short form of my question is: can Android apps use the Google
Directions API?

It clearly states the intended audience includes mobile developers.
But it also states that you're limited to 2500 requests per day. Does
this mean my app, if deployed to thousands of devices, is in total
restricted to 2500 requests per day? How could the Google server tell
anyway? Based on IP address? In which case I may be okay. The docs
also say no API key is required so again it would seem the Google
servers have nothing to use to accumulate a counter of requests per
day. Still, I don't want to be in violation of any Google Terms of
Service.

So is it okay or not? Thanks in advance.

- dave