Thanks for the heads-up.

This strikes me as an unnecessary inconsistency making the API more
complex and hard to understand.

But it strikes me as a more serious flaw that it does not cause a
visible exception at the point of creating the shortcut. Rather than
logging it and ignoring it, and creating a BOGUS shortcut without the
data -- it should fail, visibly, without persisting anything.

Yes, I realize it will be the Launcher that reports this rather than
the faulty app. An unfortunate consequence of using intents for this
task.

Visibly, because the failure is important to the end user, but it also
helps developers get it right, too. You may want to log a more
detailed explanation than you'd want to put in an end-user message.