Lance,

That's a good idea, though often times for 3D Models you'll need a few
different object groups of given name to be loadable.  You can simple
insert them into a HashMap and serialize the whole thing.  It
deserializes surprisingly fast, especially if all you're storing are
ints or floats for the data.

If your data is less structured or more linear, you could certainly
write up something to generate a java source file with the data in it
like you said.  It's probably going to load nearly the fastest, though
it requires a little more programming than serialization does.

I'm moving on to proprietary binary file formats in C now though since
they are the smallest and I ran into a major asset size issue on
Deadly Chambers which wouldn't have happened had I used my own format.