Christian,

Most games make their own map editor/generator and the reason for this
is because for your game to run well, you will want to have an
efficient implementation of whatever it is that your game world plays
in.  Since you already have to write code to render it, it's usually
not that much harder to copy that code to an external utility and add
a couple of buttons that let you point and click to some creation or
editing of some sort, then write it to disk and have reciprocal code
read it back in from disk for your actual game.

There aren't that many standards for levels/maps in videos games
because of the efficiency issue.  Every game tends to have somewhat
unique needs so things tend to be custom.  Just start simple and work
your way up.  Go to gamedev.net to find good info too, or also check
for Chris Pruett's presentation on replica island.  He may have done
what you seek and you can get the source to that game here -
http://code.google.com/p/replicaisland/