I would like to use onSaveInstanceState/onRestoreInstanceState in my
class that extends TextView, but I don't see how to do it. TextView's
implementation of onSaveInstanceState returns null, I couldn't find a
way of instantiating a TextView.SavedState, and onRestoreState, which
must be called, throws a ClassCastException if you call it with
something other than a TextView.SavedState.

There must be a simple way to use this functionality - the api docs
mention this functionality explicitly:

http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/view/View.html#onSaveInstanceState()

    Some examples of things you may store here: the current cursor
position in a text view...