How does the Market get informed of a new install?
How does the Market get informed of an uninstall?

Does installing an app other than via the market (on a phone that has
the android market) increment the number of installs?
Is it possible that the apps are being downloaded from a source other
than market, installed via non-market app mechanism and hence not
incrementing stats?
But on download, because market is installed (and app exists in
market, the market stats are being decremented?

There you go, 5 questions and no answers .. shit I'm on fire today :-)

William