On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Lance Nanek <lna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe he comes from the iPhone world. There are some sort of limits
> there. 100 specifically provisioned device IDs, 50 promo codes after
> app acceptance, etc. - stuff like that, I think.
>
> I suppose technically we do have a limit in the Android world as well,
> because AT&T forces some phones to not support applications installed
> from unknown sources. So you have unlimited non-market distribution
> for most phones, but 0 distribution for those AT&T phones, heh.

That's not entirely accurate.  Anyone with the SDK installed can sideload on
AT&T phones (without rooting).  Also, the nice folks at
www.AndroidCentral.com have put together a simple Windows application (they
have Mac/Linux too) they call the "Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine
that allows _anyone_ to sideload even without the SDK.

The thread about the Sideload Wonder Machine is at

http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=236589#p<http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=236589#post236589>

--PhillW.