Additionally, I think the galaxy's hardware design makes more sense if
viewed not as having two sd cards, but rather as product designers
trying to combine the best of both large fixed storage ala iphone or
pre with user price point scalable removable storage ala other android
devices, blackberry, and traditional smartphones. I don't know if the
fixed volume is a captive sdcard or a chip soldered to the
motherboard, but it may not matter to anyone but samsungs engineers
and procurement people.

What presumably matters to users is that they don't have to buy a
card, but they can - especially if storage prices fall during the life
of the phone or if they want to swap in huge amounts of content while
travelling without a laptop.